Sunday 16 December 2012

God Jul! Merry Christmas!

I am living in Longyearbyen, Svalbard in the High Arctic. Everyone knows Santa lives at the North Pole, but I have seen his workshop (maybe he has many across the Arctic?) as I walk up the valley to Nybyen.

Santa's workshop. In summer, known as Gruve 2, obviously Santa goes on holiday during the warm months.
Here, I shall definitly have a White Christmas! Already, I have taken part in Christmas Baking days, Christmas Crafts, Christmas Dinners, and this week there is a Christmas Lunch! UNIS has a decorated Canteen, with decorated Gingerbread (Peperkake) hearts, christmas tree covered in Norwegian flags and handmade decorations, and today we have some Christmas baking at morning tea.  I have tried alcoholic Glogg (warm red wine with raisins, spices and ginger and some secret ingredients!) and non alcoholic, with apple juice and spices.

Santa's mailbox. I have sent him a list of wishes, but wont say what they were in case they dont come true!!

But this is all so different to my previous christmases!! New Zealand Christmas (for me) used to consist of barbeques, summer holidays, beach time, swimming and sitting with a cold beer in the sunshine... We would have cold ham, potato salad, fresh salads and pavlova and trifle for dessert.

Here I am looking forward to reindeer, hot roast potatoes, liver pate and other winter-time foods. I am going to try Lutefisk, as it is a traditional food... But I have been forewarned that I may not love it. Instead of swimming, I shall go dog sledging, out into the dark, snowy valley. I have been told that if I want to swim, there is nothing stopping me (except my fear of sharks sneaking up on me in the dark, cold water, the dark itself, and the ice and snow).

I am excited, spending Christmas somewhere new and getting a white, snowy day will be wonderful! I wonder what happens at New Years....

God Jul! Merry Christmas! Miri Kirihimete!

Im pretty certain that this is Blitzen, Donna, Dasher and Prancer... Feeding up before the busy Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment