Sunday 16 December 2012

Spark and Me - a late night adventure

This is a Spark. Also known as a Kicksled (according to Wikipedia). A very Norwegian item, I am told. I was lent one by a friend, to get home last night.

So, out I ventured onto the flat street. I had been advised that it worked best when it was a bit icey, so I headed towards the middle of the road (I normally avoid this, as ice causes me to walk like a new born giraffe on caffiene, before FOOSH-ing). (FOOSH: Falling On Outstretched Hands).

I was kicking away, one foot on the Spark, and having a wonderful time! You slide along gracefully, as if you were a professional ice skater, about to perform some fancy-pants trick. The wind was biting into my cheeks, my breath was frosting behind me as I swished past a couple out for their evening stroll.

I came to the top of the hill, excited about the idea of simply standing and holding on, while I zoomed past the idle snow scooters... I stepped on, and gently pushed off, then held on, narrowed my eyes against the cold, and headed off! Down the hill! Which suddenly got steeper!

I realised then, that I hadnt received any instructions on how to stop.....

So, with some kiwi ingenuity, I edged the Spark towards what looked like a soft snow drift. One of ski/skate bits hit the snow, speed dropped almost immediately, and I stumble-ran for a few steps, slid, (saw my life flash before my eyes) ran some more, before being able to come a halt, before the intersection with the main road.

Relieved! I did the quick check for people watching, but due to the lateness of the hour, I had saved myself without embarrassing observation!

This hasnt dimmed my excitement of the Arctic wind in my hair, the stinging snow nipping my cheeks, or the adrenalin rush of the downhill speed when riding the Spark. Cannot wait to try again, especially after being informed of the 'technically correct' way to halt the Spark - put your boot down so it slows you down!

No comments:

Post a Comment