Friday 8 February 2013

You sound like a little girl!

Last weekend, I got to indulge in a typical Scandinavian activity - skiing!!

Heading out into Adventdalen, the site of my second skiing experience

My previous skiing experience consists of 'this one time...'
       - It was during my Bachelors, and we all went to Cardrona to have an annual ski trip. It was down hill skiing, and I was going okay, I had learnt to make a v out of my skis to stop, learnt that if I didnt keep my knees together, I would end up in the splits, and that the ski instructors were distractingly attractive. Regardless, I approached the pommer (is this the technical term? Im not sure) with great excitement and determination to look just as cool as the skiers coming down the hill. I managed to get on, and was being pulled up the short slope, when the 6 year old on the pommer ahead of me fell off, right in the middle of the track. What could I do??? If I let go, I was going downhill, backwards! If I stayed holding on, the child might... get out of the way... in time....

He didnt. I skiied straight over the top of him. In my defense, he was FINE, he just got up and skied away (maybe to go cry somewhere else?), but I was left, one ski up, one ski down, unable to lift my head without being hit by the pommer, in the middle of the track!

Thankfully, noone else skiied over me. But the entire field came to a halt, pointing and laughing, as the lovely young man operating the pommer lift, came up to take off my skis so I could regain my feet. Overall, embarrassing, and since that time I have been a 'casual' snowboarder.
Embracing my inner-scandinavian. And inner-child, who knew skis could be SO MUCH FUN!


But this, this was fantastic! For a start, it was flat. Secondly, it was during what is currently the lightest part of the day! There was almost no wind, and it smelt like very early dawn, before the sun even peeks above the horizon and everything is all damp.

There was this mysterious fog on the fjord as well, adding to the overall intrigue of the afternoon. I only fell over twice, and there was no laughter as such, just the challenge to try and make a more impressive face plant next time!

Super experience. Cant wait to head out again tomorrow!!
Longyearbyen, with the not-quite-rising sun 

No comments:

Post a Comment