Sunday 25 May 2014

Creative Non Fiction - #2

Since attending this creative non fiction workshop (see previous post), I have realised that my natural tendency in writing my PhD, was in fact creative non fiction. I wanted to add in little bits about my personal experience, sprinkle anecdotes through, so as to make something readable to everyone.

But lets face it, not everyone is going to want to read about how many poppy seeds I manually counted in 2010 (it was over 22 thousand by the way), the changes in experimental protocol in order to improve collected data, or the justification of use of particular statistical models....

Already I feel myself slipping into the 'science speak'!!

So today's challenge was to take an aspect of my thesis (for example, insect visitation) and to write it in a creative, non fiction form.
Selection of insects in Dryas octopetala flower
Endalen is the warmest valley in the Adventdalen group - likely due to the lack of glacier at the head of the valley in my opinion. I spent many days there, not only basking in the sunshine on the warm tundra, but watching for insects visiting flowers. I observed them (with help of course!) not only basking in the sunshine, but feeding, walking and flying. There are many flowering, thermophilic plants in Endalen, including the 'tallest' tree; a Betula nana specimen that if it were supported vertically would be nearly a meter in height. Endalen is also home to many flying insects. I say flying insects, because these are the most likely to be visiting flowers.

Flying insects can exert a selective pressure upon the floral species they are visiting. If you were a bumblebee who hated the bland, boring view of white flowers, especially in comparison to a deep, welcoming blue, you would visit the blue flower rather than the white. If you continued to do this, time after time, season after season, only the blue flowers would be selected for within the floral population - after a few years you may not have to worry about the awfully plain white flowers coming into your bumblebee field of vision as that colour would have been discontinued!

In Endalen, there is a fly that seems to love the creamy petals and fluffy yellow center of Dryas octopetala. This fly is of the Rhamphomyidae family, and is commonly known as the 'Dancing Fly'. The dancing is in reference to the mating actions of the males, who 'dance' around the females attempting to impregnate her (much like that of the dance floor on a Friday night in some establishments!). I observed many of these flies hanging out in Dryas flowers - basking, feeding, walking and, if I got too close or disturbed them, flying away across the tundra. I always wondered how the flies saw the tundra. Did the patches of creamy, pale Dryas flowers stand out like giant dinner platters? Maybe one day I shall find out...

'Dancing Fly' in Dryas octopetala outside UNIS building in Longyearbyen




1 comment: