Friday 28 February 2014

Writing in my own style

Today I came across this blog thanks to the Thesis Whisperer (http://thesiswhisperer.com/)

http://ajjuliani.com/10-lessons-improve-your-writing/

And when I got to Lesson #6, I realised that one's own unique writing style comes about through practice. So, I have decided to begin my own 'Writer's Boot Camp'. I have often toyed with the idea of being a writer, thanks to the enjoyment I received from reading my own creative stories written in high school. But in the real world, writing requires a LOT of dedication (I should have realised this before flippantly beginning my PhD journey) and Step One of the 'Writer's Boot Camp' involves writing 250 words, morning and night, every day for ten days.

Right now, including those links I am at 112 words. And I am stuck already!! I am dying to check Facebook (the time thief), write an email (I havent written it thus far, why the need now??), and make sure I am up to date on all current events (in truth, I want to do the daily NZ Herald Quiz). I know that what I really should be doing is looking at the first draft of a scientific paper I want to publish in Polar Biology... But its a Saturday and I did work on it last night... Maybe one more look at those images, then I wont be torturing myself by writing words...

Lets face it, after three and a half years of 'writing' my thesis, I know all the tricks to avoid putting pen to paper! Or, in this day and age, fingers to keyboard.

There. I made it. That wasnt so hard...


No comments:

Post a Comment